United Nations General Assembly , 2nd March 2010 proclaims 2011-2020 as the Decade of Action for Road Safety, with a goal to stabilize and then reduce the forecast level of road traffic fatalities around the world.
Reasons to act:
1. More than 1.3 million people die every year
2. Road crashes kill more people than malaria
3. 50 millions are injured, many disabled as a result
4. 90% of these casualties occur in developing countries
5. This is the number one cause of death of young people worldwide