22 January, 2011
The Renovated Puduraya Bus Station
The renovated Puduraya bus station will reopen on Feb 2. The total cost of renovation is 52 Million Ringgit. The Puduraya bus station started operation since 1976.
Passengers travelling North-Bound will have to go to the Puduraya bus station to catch a bus whereas passengers traveling South-Bound will have to go to the Terminal Bersepadu Selatan - Bandar Tasik Selatan.
The station was closed since April 2010 to uplift the operating condition of the facility.
Among the new features of the facility are as follows:
1) Fully air-conditioned passengers waiting area located at the ground floor. Passengers will be relieved since they don't have to inhale toxic bus emission as before.
2) Two escalators heading to the basement where buses are parked and one travellator from a new main entrance to the ground floor.
3) Two passenger lifts from the main entrance and four escalators to the second floor.
4) Ticket counters located on the first floor.
5) A prayer room (a surau) located on the second floor
6) Food court located on the fourth floor.
7) CCTV cameras are installed for passengers safety.
The reopening of the renovated Puduraya Bus station is eagerly waited by bus users. However, there are yet several other issues that need further attentions such as congestion issues due to inbound and outbound bus movements in the CBD area. Also, there is no indication on how the touts problems will be resolved. Hopefully, the Puduraya Bus Station management will put in place the preventive maintenance strategies to prevent the newly renovated facility from becoming run down again.
Read HERE for more info.